Moving is never easy. It is far from easy actually. They say it is one of the most stressful events an adult person ever goes through during their lifetime, but it can be painful as well if you are leaving a place you have grown up at and have some amazing memories that bound you to it.
And if you are moving with your pets and kids and looking for some ASAP movers at the same time it can become even more difficult because there is more stuff you need to pay your attention to at once and stay even more focused on everything that is happening around you.
The most difficult thing of all is definitely moving on short notice, because it is not only the move itself that is the big issue now, but it is also your time limit that creates troubles. You have to do everything you would normally do during your move, only you have to do it twice as fast and efficiently than you would have to otherwise and do not have the luxury of a relaxed approach.
These time boundaries can cause panic or anxiety in some cases and make the moving process very unpleasant. In other cases it can just make you get really distracted and forget to do a lot of important things because you are in such a hurry. We offer you some life-saving tips on how to move on short notice and don’t lose your mind along the way.
Create a to-do list
In all the fuss and hurry that is taking place around you it is completely natural and normal that you will get distracted and will try to be on a hundred fronts at the same time. You will want to do a thousand things all at once and as fast as you can and during this adrenalin rush you will probably forget some crucial things that needed to be done in order for the successful move. In order to keep yourself sane and focused it is the best advice to create your own to-do list and write down everything that needs to be done one under the other.
Some of the things that should find place on your checklist include: hiring packers and movers, finding all the packing materials, sorting out all your paperwork, setting the date of the move and preparing your kids and pets for the upcoming events, transfering all of your and their medical and school records, emptying your deposit box etc. Every time you get something from your list done you just check it off and this way you will always keep on track and won’t forget to do anything.
2. Create your own timeline and go step by step
It seems that there is so much to do and so little time for you to do it! If you don’t want to make a complete mess out of your current situation and keep as much organized as possible you need to determine your priorities. In this whole mess it is not always easy to manage and prioritize because you want to do everything as fast as you can.
There is one technique that could help you get things sorted inside your head and out of it as well – that is the step by step technique. Set your priorities straight and then keep finishing your tasks one by one. When you are focused on one task do not think about the next one or the next one. Stay fully concentrated on what you set as your primary goal, the first thing on your to do list. The flow of the events you can determine as you wish, there is no one particular order you must blindly follow. One possible order could go like this:
- You create your budget depending on your financial situation
- You find a moving company and call it to ask about the prices and make all the arrangements and set the date
- You decide whether you wish to hire only movers or packers and movers as well
- You start and keep preparing all the materials and boxes you need for your pack
- Start packing
- Clean up your old place
- Get everything sorted with the paperwork.
Of course you can make your own order however you wish and whatever seems the most practical to you, but you need to make sure you stick to it and keep organized!
Get some help
It is clear that you cannot do your moving only by yourself. It is nearly impossible even if you have all the time in the world, but when you have this kind of time limit it is even harder. It is obvious you will need some kind of help. It is up to you which is the solution you will opt for, here are two solutions we offer with both pros and cons.
Moving on your own
First, you could ask your friends and family for some help. This sounds like a wonderful idea at first, sure, but you need to think it through more carefully.
Of course, everything is more fun when you do it with people you love and care about, and boring chores like tidying and packing could become interesting, fun and playful. Also, your friends probably wouldn’t charge as much as a registered moving company or wouldn’t charge you at all.
But on the other hand, don’t forget the fact that your friends are not professionals and don’t have all the equipment required for the moving process. You would need to get everything necessary for packing (tapes, boxes, protective paper etc) and also find a moving truck. This may not be as easy as you think.
You will need to find a truck in the right size for your stuff so you don’t have to go back for the rest of the things a hundred times.
Second, you would probably have to rent it and pay for the fuel and maybe pay for a truck driver. So, this option doesn’t come up as cheap as you thought it would in the end. Your second option, and the best one, is to hire professional packers and movers to do the job for you.
Professional service comes with a price, yes, but there is many many reasons why it is the optimal solution for your moving process and we will name only some of them.
Reasons people hire professional movers
- Professional movers and packers come with professional equipment. You won’t have to think about getting enough boxes, tapes, protective materials etc. if you hire some professional help. Your packers will not only bring all the necessary gadgets that your move is unimaginable without, but will also do all the work for you!
- Your move will be as fast and efficient as it can get. Since time is the biggest problem for you right now, hiring some professionals seems like the most natural solution. You must not forget that they are well trained and educated workers who have gone through many hours of practice to become the best at what they do. They also have a large experience behind them and will pack all of your precious belongings at the blink of an eye without breaking or damaging anything.
- Your packers and movers have the custom made trucks. They have different kinds and different sizes of trucks so you will find at least one that will fit all of your items and will have no further problems on this topic.
- They have storages. This is the thing that might occur as very convenient in your situation. In case you have to leave your old place earlier than you thought and your new home is not ready yet for any reason you will need some place to put your stuff in until your new home is ready. You are lucky that almost every single moving company has a perfect solution for your troubles. They have different kinds of custom made storages, with a lot of space, that you can delay all of your stuff at until they can be transported to a new location. This way you won’t have to look for some rental garages, ask your friends for favors or worry about anything. Your stuff will be safe under a key and waiting for you to pick them up. This comes with a price, of course, but it is nothing compared to a peace of mind you will get.
Start packing ASAP!
If you are hiring only movers and no packers and have decided for any reason this is the task you will do by yourself then it is time to start. Immediately. Time is crucial for you, so you don’t want to be wasting any. Go to your nearest grocery store and ask for enough boxes to fit everything you wish to pack. Find enough papers or newspapers or some other protective materials you will wrap your goodies in.
Be especially careful when it comes to fragile items made of glass or porcelain that can easily get damaged or even broken and cause you damage. Find enough tapes and gadgets that will be necessary for you to pack properly. Also, try labeling the boxes.
Use different kinds of colorful pens, numbers and label every single box. This way you will always know exactly where one of your things is, you won’t lose track of anything and will unpack way faster than you think! If your friends have some free time, ask them for help with packing and organizing your inventory. If you have kids try to include them in the process.
You could make some sort of competitions with some rewards for those who pack their room first etc. This way, your kids will feel included and useful, and things will develop much faster as well!
Clean up the place or hire some professional cleaners as soon as possible
You don’t want to leave your old place in a mess and dirty. On the other hand you need the place to be tidy, clean and organized when the packers and movers arrive in order for them to do the job as fast as possible. Maybe this could be just the perfect moment you have been delaying so much to do your spring cleaning! Also, a little bit of physical activity such as cleaning and tidying could help you distract yourself from thinking about the move and help you relax.
6. Relax and breathe
We understand that moving under deadlines is very intense and creates a lot of anxiety and pressure. We also understand that every single one of us already has tons of tasks to do or family to take care of. The most important thing is not to lose your mind during this process, but try to relax, calm down and approach analytically and peacefully towards the problem. If things get too intense take some time off for yourself just to meditate or take a few deep breaths. You will see things will immediately start to become better and you will feel lighter and calmer.